Thursday, November 14, 2013

holy moly

The process of creating art is usually a solitary pursuit. Hours, days and months spent alone in the studio working to bring into being through paint or pastel, a credible illusion - my vision of a place or an idea. The goal is communication with others through my paintings. Spending days alone in this way suits me but occasionally I need a different form of communication. I want to be in the company of my peers. A peer group is defined as a group of people of approximately the same age, status, and interests. 

Fortunately, I have two resources to fill this need: a Critique Group and Women Painters of Washington (WPW). I can't remember exactly why I applied for membership. I think it was to have an additional venue to show my work, although over the last fifteen years, it is the camaraderie of this group of women that has been most important to me.

I spent yesterday at the monthly WPW meeting at Seattle Art Museum (SAM). The board meetings (any member can attend) are usually lively as we pursue the common goal of fulfilling the mission statement of this eighty-three year old organization. Lunch at SAM is next and always an enjoyable time catching up with friends. After the business portion of each meeting, we have an invited speaker. Sometimes I question my interest in the scheduled program; after all, I work in paint and pastel - how could the topic of printmaking hold my interest? Holy Moly, EVERY presentation, regardless of subject, has contributed to my enthusiasm and motivation to create art. In fact, I got so fired up after the talk on monotyping that I may have to try that. By the way, the phrase "Holy Moly" is an exclamation of surprise that dates from at least 1892.

Today I'm happy to be back in my quiet studio with Annie, who naps nearby until her morning walk. Being on a self-imposed painting sabbatical is an interesting experience. I am committed to let new painting ideas, exciting as they may be, simmer awhile. I'm setting aside my painting life for now but I look forward to continuing my mind's eye paintings and whatever surprises are in store for me at the easel next year. I want to say to Annie, "Holy Moly!" 





6 comments:

  1. Barbara, your remarks are very heartfelt and I can identify. Without WPW and working on various committees over the years, I would not have met the many other women artists who have greatly inspired me, artistically and personally. Many remain close friends today and I am grateful. Thanks so much for your words. Holy Moly indeed! Nancy R/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barbara for your inspiring words. Holy Moly indeed! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me with your comments. One question...why the self-imposed sabbatical? Sherri Bails

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherri, the painting sabbatical is so I can focus on building building Mill Pond Cottage on lake property we purchased this year. Here is the link http://millpondcottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so appreciate your writing about what is to me the most precious part of being a member of WPW. Thank you.

      Delete