Thursday, September 25, 2014

thoughts on time


Yesterday, a collector emailed me a photo of my painting, "November" hanging in her new home. When I saw it and remembered the process of painting it, one of the thoughts that came to mind was this old, anonymous quote:  "The greatest gift you can give to someone is your time because it is a portion of your life that you can never bring back." An interesting thought to me; that she would have a portion of my life. I had to think about that.

I feel a more exact statement is that she has the product of my time (which is a portion of my life). She has the tangible product of every painting thought for however long it took me to paint "November" but I have the intangible benefits of every thought of the same time period. If I was mindful (another word for paying attention) while painting this scene, I gained skill with the medium and an increased ability to express an idea.  I may have even saved some time by thinking about what to prepare for dinner while I was painting.

More thoughts on time, different subject: We finally received the permit to build our house. I am so glad Jay and I chose to have an optimistic attitude while waiting five months for the OK to build. We now look back on that time with mostly good memories and time well spent on other things. In the end we decided it was time to make a change so we could move forward and all was resolved within days. The excavator should be at our property today to begin. Backstory on our building project.



No comments:

Post a Comment