Thursday, December 29, 2016

2016 Reflections and 2017 Goals

This morning I accompanied Jay to a meeting with his Nutritionist (Jay has enrolled himself in a 16 week exercise and nutrition program!). Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Sara spoke of balance in meal planning. Protein, grains for fiber, healthy fats. We also spoke about moderation. OK, let's do it! This change in eating habits comes at a good time - I can add it to my list of personal goals for 2017.  Through this meeting I am reminded (duh!) that balance and moderation in all things is the key to a healthy life. I will try to put balance in my art goals as well.

To begin my new art list, I reviewed the list that I posted on this blog a year ago.

My ART goals for 2016 were
1. Cut back on competitions and shows - done
2. Retire myself from several galleries - done
3. Cut back on online art-peer browsing - done
4. Try a new medium - done
5. Teach in some capacity - done
6. Paint for fun with others - done
7. Author a book - Move this goal to the top of the list for 2017!

I am happy and a little surprised that I actually accomplished most what I set out to do but a couple art opportunities came to me in 2016 that I would not have imagined: Two art-print publishers contacted me to create new paintings for them. - done

Those opportunities remind me of the book I first read in 1983 - a book that literally changed my life because I began to take my power back from others and create the life I wanted. For next year I will add, "This, or something better, now manifests for me in totally satisfying and harmonious ways, for the highest good of all concerned."


My ART goals for 2017

1. Author a book
Note from last year: One of my long time goals has been to self-publish a book. I thought it would be about my life based on my nearly fifty years of handwritten journals but earlier this year when I began to review them I realized that to get to the happy and funny parts of my life I would have to plow through the sadness and struggle. I didn’t want to revisit those times so I shredded all but a few journals from the early years when my babies were born. I think a better idea for a book is to focus on my art journey illustrated with images.

2. Improve my online presence
My good friend, artist and web designer Kay Dewar, reinvented my website this year to make it interactive for me. In 2017 I will learn more about Wordpress so I can fully utilize this opportunity to communicate effectively.

3. Evaluate my online sales to increase revenue
Because I no longer want to spend my time rotating art at galleries, I depend upon online and Studio sales. Review and restock my stores at Daily Paintworks, Etsy, and Ebay. Add additional sites if needed.

4. Work with other artists to further their successes
This goal springs from last year's goal to paint for fun with others (goal #6 from last year). Because I am the artist with the most years of painting consistently, I am the default person to ask art questions in our Maple Valley Community Center Painting Group. As our group grows with additional full time artists, my instructor role will diminish. Currently, they are painting for fun, I am there mostly to support them. I do enjoy the discipline of going to the group each Friday afternoon but I will look for new ways to support other artists. Online mentoring? Private Lessons in my Studio?

5. Try new mediums or new techniques.
I look forward to more work in oil in 2017!

6. Bookkeeping: Quarterly 
I used Quarterly Profit and Loss reviews most of 2016 to track my business and simplify quarterly reports to Washington State and yearly to the IRS. Works well, keep it up!

And now, the additional text for gifts from the Universe: "This, or something better, now manifests for me in totally satisfying and harmonious ways, for the highest good of all concerned."

My online presence is important to me both as a communication tool and as a retrospective view. I plan to continue posting on my Art Journal and on my Golden Years blogs. Thanks to all who have followed my work this year. Let’s keep in touch!
Wishing you a wonderful 2017,
Barbara




 






No comments:

Post a Comment