Wednesday, November 27, 2013

giving thanks

When I started this blog, I gave up writing in my personal journals. If I were still at it, on this morning before Thanksgiving Day, I would note what unusual holiday weather we are having in Washington state. Sunny and crisp while much of the rest of the country is suffering wet, cold and wind.

I would write that this will be the last of the twenty-six Thanksgiving dinners we have had in this house and that I am thankful that both daughters and husbands and our two funny, smart grandsons will be with us. I would mention that our two sons can't be here because they will be working at the best jobs for each of them and that I am so thankful for their employment.

I am thankful for my sister and the telephone Whine Line, used throughout the year. That's my sister in the background of the photo above, at my last birthday. The turkey hat is a gift from my teenage grandson. I hope to take headshots this year of each family member wearing the turkey hat.

I am thankful for my health and the health of our family. Thankful for my husband Jay, Annie, friends, a warm, dry house. Thankful for the welcome my little paintings have received on my Daily Paintworks Gallery after my absence of five months. Thankful for the opportunity to make art and for those who support me in that endeavor. And, on and on...

As I write this, I'm getting a little distracted thinking about preparing for Thanksgiving. Today is the day I will make the blackberry pie, the Killer Cranberry sauce (which no one except me really cares about), and cube toast the freezer bread for the turkey stuffing.  I will look again at the brussels sprouts recipe that will be new for this year. Does anyone in this family, except an absent son, and probably the dog, even eat brussels sprouts? Make a list of what needs to be done and when, to make the whole thing come together. Clean the bathrooms. And, the refrigerator repairman is coming today.

To each of you, thank you for reading this blog. I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

Later: oops, apparently I spaced-out on my lattice weaving but I am thankful it didn't overflow.






No comments:

Post a Comment